Up to 150kVA Output Power
Up to 40 kA Output Current
Less than 10V Output Voltage
AC or DC Output Power
What is a Current Generator?
Current Generators are special AC Power Sources able to provide an arbitrarily high output current (up to tens of thousand of Amps) and a low output voltage (less than 10V).
In other words, the generator’s output current is static and constant (as decided by the user), while the voltage on the output terminals depends on the load. Hence, if the load can absorb the set current without exceeding the voltage limit, the generator can work properly, otherwise the protection triggers.
How do current generators work?
MCB’s Current Generators convert energy with these steps:
- Rectification of the three-phase AC input voltage to DC
- PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) with high power Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors (IGBT)
- Output filter
- For AC generators, an output transformer converts the current back to AC
Since there are no moving parts, the dynamic response is linear and fast (e.g. from 0 to 6’000 Amps in about 150ms).
Our Current Generators – The Power Flow
AT A GLANCE
- Equipped with isolation autotransformer
- For AC Output, the phases working modes are:
- SS (single-phase input and output)
- TS (three-phase input single-phase output)
- TT (three-phase input and output)
- For DC Output, input can be either single-phase or three-phase.
- Mechanical: Rack 19″, Towers and Maxi-Towers
- Control Panels:
- LCD Display 4×40 along with command buttons
- LCD 7″ touchscreen along with encoder
- Communication Interfaces (Remote Control):
- Physical Interfaces: RS-232, Ethernet, 12 poles I/O (0-10 Vdc)
- Communication protocols: SCPI (over RS-232 and Ethernet)
- LabView Drivers
Current Generator Applications
The typical Current Generator applications are industry related, for example:
Testing busbar impedance and quality of its connection points.
Testing of magnetothermic switches and automatic circuit breakers.
Electric Motors Testbench
Powering of electric motors testbenches.
Current Generators are used for Shunt calibration and testing by providing fixed high current.
Testing Current and Winding TransformersCurrent Generators are used for testing current and winding transformers, providing fixed high current values for pre-determined time intervals.
Case History of Current Generators
MCB Electronics design and deliver Current Generators in any reasonable configuration of current, voltage and frequency ranges, both AC and DC. These machines are very particular, so they must be tailored to the customer requirements. Therefore, we don’t have a standard product family, but we respond to customers inquiries. For instance, we delivered these unique devices:
Do you want to know more about our Current Generators? For help, inquiries and customizations, Get in touch with us!